Sunday 19 July 2009

Wanaka 5 weeks in

Hi everyone..



So it has been a fairly eventful stay in Wanaka with some ups and downs on both the ski and job front. Unfortunately yesterday Si left us due to his knee being injured and the physio saying he would be unable to ski on it for one month. After a lot of discution it was thought the best thing to do was for him to head home and get some proper medical care on it rather than stay out here and hurt it more. Bit of a hammer blow to lose him but jub and I will manage..



On the job front Jub has taken over si's speights ale house dish hand job.. yes he is pretty damn good at washing up now (mush to the surprise of many no doubt!) So he is working there from 5 till midnight about 5 nights a week. Myself I have been mingling around the job scene a bit. At first I was offered a position working at a BP petrol station and then was called up 30 minutes before starting with the manager telling me they were overstaffed and so couldn't take me on! A little bit ridiculous? After that I found a job making pies at a bakery factory. This was an ok job but meant I had to get up at 5.30 in the mornings and so lost my whole day meaning I couldn't ski so it wasn't ideal. I then stumbled on a bar job which was the sort of thing I was looking for. With a bit of exagerration of my bar skills I was offerred a trial and luckily given the job after my first night although I had no clue what was going on most of the time. The bar is very cool and can be seen here: http://www.goodbars.co.nz/BARS/Barluga/tabid/56/Default.aspx. I am also working with some very cool people and will gain a good qualification in bar managing so I am happy! Jub is looking at getting involved with the same sort of scene so we will be keeping our eyes open for any opportunities for him.

Otherwise things have been quite quiet - the group of us and some friends took part in the annual pub olympics last tuesday, as you can imagine this involved some essential elements of a good party including competitions, nudity, etc. We came 2nd! losing out to another team with a tense game of paper scissors rock.. Anyway it was a fun night. Other than that we visited puzzling world - A local attraction in which there is a giant maze and illusion rooms, etc. This was a fun day out but nothing to rave about. I haven't been up in a while due to work but jub has been up quite a few times and says he is coming on a bit with his snowboarding. The weather here is absolutely awesome and quite warm so we could really do with a fresh dump of snow if it isn't going to be to deteriorated. School holidays are over now so the queues should be a bit better so will try to head up there tomorrow and have a good ski with Jub and Sara.

Very little to report otherwise other than I think that Jub and I will probably crack on with work until we can afford to do everything else that this country has to offer. We have about 7 weeks left or so out here so have a big plan of things left to do and will let you know once we get on those roads.

Hope you are all well and take care,

Love

Mark, Jub and Si

No comments:

Post a Comment